Attorney Daniel Smith
About Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith joined Bosley & Bratch in July 2011 after leaving a prestigious position as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Mary Scholen at the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC) in Washington, D.C., where he assisted in the preparation of approximately 200 decisions related to the administration of claims for VA compensation benefits.
In addition to handling various types of veterans disability claims at various levels, Dan’s special area of interest and focus are appeals to the CAVC.
Daniel also previously worked at the National Veterans Legal Services Program in Washington, D.C. In that capacity, he edited multiple professional publications, including the Veterans Benefits Manual (a resource manual relied upon by veterans advocates) and The Veterans Advocate (a newsletter for attorneys), and he helped to prepare pleadings to be filed at the CAVC.
Daniel attended Stetson University College of Law in St. Petersburg, FL, where he was a member of the school’s Law Review and a research assistant to the Dean of the law school. He also served as an intern to the Honorable Robert Davis at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims while he was in law school.
Area of Practice
- Florida (2008)
- Washington, D.C. (2011)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (2010)
- Accredited to represent veterans by the Department of Veterans Affairs (2011)
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Member of Board of Governors of the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims Bar Association
- National Organization of Veterans Advocates (Sustaining Member, Court Relations Committee member and Congressional Testimony Committee member)
- Clearwater Bar Association
- Toastmaster Club 2284, St. Petersburg, FL (Vice President of Education)
- An Introduction to VA Benefits and Practice presented at the National Organization of Veterans’ Advocates (NOVA) Spring Conference 2017 in San Antonio, TX
- How To Determine The Value of a VA Claim presented at the National Organization of Veterans’ Advocates (NOVA) Spring Conference 2016 in Las Vegas, NV
- Practicing Before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims presented at the National Organization of Veterans’ Advocates (NOVA) Fall Conference 2014 in Orlando, FL
- Clear and Unmistakable Error, presented at the National Organization of Veterans’ Advocates (NOVA) Fall Conference 2013 in San Diego, CA
- University of Missouri (Bachelor of Journalism, May 2005)
- Stetson University College of Law (Juris Doctor, May 2008)
- Judicial law clerk, U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (August 2008 to July 2011)
- Legal intern, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Middle District of Florida (January 2008 to April 2008)
- Legal intern, National Veterans Legal Service Program (May 2007 to August 2007)
- Legal intern to the Honorable Robert Davis, U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (January 2007 to June 2007)